
There are few things in life that make me giggle with excitement. And there is only a small portion of those things that make me jubilant enough that even my bowels can't help but to wiggle and send me to the little boys room that they may scream out their joy. Explorations are one of those things. I have often thought that I should have been born in the time when half the world was still undiscovered. I like to think that if given the chance, I would have sailed into the horizon to dangle my ship on the edge of the flat world. And in my dreams I have pondered a mournful love for never being able to have traveled the Mississippi when true natives roamed its shores. And in the farthest reaches of my mind I think that if the timing was right, I would have been the one to declare, “What is there that confers the noblest delight? What is that which swells a man's breast with pride above that which any other experience can bring to him? Discovery! To know that he is walking where none others have walked; that he is beholding.” But alas, I am not the one to coin these words, and in truth all that is left to me is to stare at pictures such as these wondering what could have been and to dream of seeing what others have left behind.
When I look at this picture and feel the turnings of excitement that were never mine, another borrowed statement comes to my mind, “I wonder if I could live in there,” as spoken by my brother. And now that I have written his thought aloud I would like to change just one thing. It isn't a wonder for me to live in this sunken ship. It is a wish. Yes, I really do wish that I could sing the songs of mermaids while living in the hull of a ship just bellow the oceans surface. In fact just typing this desire reminds me of all the childhood love crushes I had on many of the Disney animated characters, and of all those many secret lover’s whims none of them were truer than the crush I had on Ariel the undersea princess. I suppose there is just something to be said about shells and undersea places.
3 comments:
Well, I know that opening your lunch and finding egg salad makes you giggle with delight. But hopefully it doesn't send you to the little boys' room.
Zak........ Ariel is a beauty.
You have a real talent. Great writing. I am waiting for that book to come out! Make it a fiction based on this post.
Post a Comment