Tuesday, August 7, 2012

the magic of bulges

I found a button once. It was just an ordinary run of the mill button, white and rectangle with a bulge in the middle. Except, there was one noticeable difference compared to other buttons I have seen, this button had an inscription written atop that read - make everything ok-. At first I wondered if the button was having a bad day and was in need of some help. Then I thought, “no, it is just a button. It will be ok.” But then it occurred to me that what if the button was referring to me. I have problems. Most people do. What if this button, this small, slightly insignificant thing, cared enough to want to fix my day? I thought to myself, “sure why not.” I could use a pick me up. Who couldn't? So I took that little button in my hands. I breathed shallow enough as to not disturb its magic. And then I pressed its bulge and waited. I counted the seconds. I counted the minutes. I checked the zit growing on my arm. I thought about my bank account. I called my wife. I waited for a buzz, a tinkling, a shiver to run down my spine. Then I went back to the counting of seconds and minutes. I thought about putting the button down and getting back to work, and just as I did I heard an ever so faint click, it was the sound of what I imagined something very important sounding like. I looked around me. Nothing. I looked up. I could see no heavens. I looked down. No fiery abyss. I glanced at my watch and time still moved. I wondered if I had missed the passing of this important thing happening. And so I looked down at the button. And sure enough the ever important thing that had happened had happened in the changing of the words on the button. It now read-everything is ok now. If they are not, check the settings-. I looked around again. Still nothing had changed. I thought to myself, “what a crock.”

No comments: