The fire drawing a line across me parting my body, picketing
my soul, so that only my blood dares cross. Who is watching to see if that
blood stops sharing its life with both sides of the line. No one. Alone I stand
feeling my insides drain. Against my skin the wind pricks raising goose bumps
along my surface. How will I live? How will I die? From both I crave those
lights that flicker from tree tips to roof tops. And in my final moments the
breach between memories come gathering in bursts rather than sequence. I see
the witnesses in the room scolding me, my king throwing me from his lap because
I race a train across his chest. Notes from napkin used for when words when
anger is slapped against my brother’s face. I see games being played in the
fragmented bits of my yard. Games my adult self shuns to remember. A fly
buzzing killing more of me than I thought it should. Cloak and dagger. In and
out. My mother pushing me into a stream; the chill threatening death nearer to
me. And yet from the cushion of cliffs my mind rests thinking of the lights
flickering in the dark, casting shadows that forever change. Why must this be
the last for me? My keepsakes signed, rotted away. One last onset. Interposed
with the queen, and I cannot see to see.

No comments:
Post a Comment