Saturday, November 1, 2014

we had another explosion, did anyone see


When I was eleven I saw an explosion presented to me right there on the television screen. When it happened my teacher leapt from his chair to shut the program off. One week later my favorite TV character went home to her dad crying because she had seen the same explosion. I'm thirty-six now which means it was twenty-five years ago that I saw the challenger explode. Back then people loved progress. They televised things like the Challenger reaching for space. Now I am the teacher and all the media gives for the sake of inspiring children is war, riots, and demonstrations for ideals that are there or not there, who really knows.

Today, I wrote a line for my students, “she screamed for she loved the pain of it,” I meant it as a small gesture for Halloween. I wrote it in relation to goblins and ghouls. But the reactions I received came in expressions stating that I needed help, psychological help. Never mind that the rest of the story involved the girl being devoured while still alive.

I'm aware that these stories address two different scenes, two different mindsets and circumstances. But in the wake of Halloween comes the foremost holidays of the American year. And I can say with all sincerity that I miss my childhood. I miss the era when it was better to shield a child from an explosion than to let the child lick realities wounds. I want back what time has taken away. I don't mourn the simpleness of life for myself. I mourn it for my children. They are the ones the magic is for now, but I'm not sure the magic still lives.
 


No comments: